Friday, March 9, 2012

What books have I missed?

I'm a self-described reader...I just LIKE to read.  That being said, I hate buying most new books, and rarely have time to browse at the library, so I spend a lot of time either reading new things by my favorite authors (because I can almost guarantee I'll like them), or re-reading favorite books.  I do a LOT of re-reading.  A LOT.  No, like twice the amount you probably think.

So, I know I've missed a lot of great books in the past year or two, because I haven't been able to bring myself to buy a book at brand new prices, etc.  And I usually bookmark, or star in reader, book review posts so that I can go back to look them up at the library later -- and then I rarely do.  This is where you come in.

I need to know what books I've missed.

Some books I HAVE read:
  • The Hunger Games trilogy
  • Harry Potter (not new, but just in case you wondered)
  • The Book Thief (eh, I think I'm almost done with it, but I keep having to force myself)
  • The Red Tent (eh)
  • Water for Elephants (eh)
  • The Sleeping Beauty by Mercedes Lackey ( I like almost all of her stuff)
So, I know you all are readers.  Tell me what I've missed?  Divergent?  what else?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not really big on contemporary literature but I LOVED The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and so has everyone else that I've recommended it to. And I picked up Maphead by Ken Jennings at an airport gift shop (you can't read electronic books on the first or last ten minutes of a flight and I only had one secondary book and what was I going to DO if I didn't have a backup-backup book in case I got bored with the secondary book?) and so far it is pretty cute.

    How far back in our little publication time machine are we going with this? Have you looked at half.com for cheap current-ish titles? Are you on Goodreads? Do you like memoirs and/or nonfiction about sciencey stuff because I have an EXCELLENT recommendation for a book on the periodic table and DON'T YOU ROLL YOUR EYES AT ME, THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll second The Fault in Our Stars- Loved it! Have you read any Cassandra Clare? I'm a fan of her stuff- City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass. Actually, City of Bones is being made into a movie this year I believe. I just read and loved The Dog Stars. (Nobody else in my book club liked it though.) Hmmmm, what else...
    The Distant Hours (or other Kate Morton stuff.) Beautiful Creatures (need to read the next 3) A Discovery of Witches. I could go on. If you want to text/e-mail I'm always up for book discussion!

    ReplyDelete