Tuesday, November 1, 2011

You Can Never Go Home vs I'll Be Home for Christmas

Four and a half years ago, I moved to California. I left all of my extensive, close family home in West Virginia, and I moved in with my boyfriend. His mother, sister, and uncle live in California too, along with his brother in law, niece, and nephew. I like his family, but they’re not close like mine is – or at least they’re not close to me like mine is. In particular, they don’t celebrate the holidays like my family does.

So far, I’ve flown home every year for Christmas. Karl has came with me, and he alternates years of staying with me for Christmas with years of flying home on the 23rd to be with his family. Logically, I know that at some point I will have to “grow up” and not be with my parents on Christmas morning. In the meantime, I intend to do everything in my power to continue to make it there.

Am I trying to avoid growing up? Maybe. To avoid making my own traditions with Karl? Definitely not, we have many. But I know eventually it will end, and I guess I AM postponing the inevitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment